Requirement, Artifact, Coverage
Defines Requirement, Artifact, Coverage concepts.
REQUIREMENT = singular documented physical and functional need It is used in a formal sense in systems engineering, software engineering, or enterprise engineering. It identifies a necessary attribute, capability, characteristic, or quality of a system or of a process. For example:
- a required software feature to implement
- a required security rule to apply
- a required technical information to present in a training
ARTIFACT = singular documented element that meet a requirement For example:
- a software use case, software test cases, software source code, software design document etc
- a step of a process that ensures that a rule is applied
- a training slide that explains a technical information
- a new requirement that refines the parent one
CORRECT statut = 1 to 1 relationship between artifact and met requirement
PARTIAL statut = coverage relationship that is not fully fulfilled
UNCOVERED statut = requirement that is not linked to an artifact, there is no coverage
Let "input" be a set of 4 requirements : I1 to I4. Let "output" be a set of 5 artifacts : O1 to O5.
This basic example shows 3 requirements covered in 2 tests by using syntax extraction method.
The coverages are drawn with an arrow. The partial coverages are drawn with a dotted arrow.
- Requirement I1 is covered by artifact O1.
- Requirement I2 is partially covered by artifact O2.
- Requirement I3 is covered by artifacts O3 and O4.
- Requirement I4 is uncovered.
The following text could be a WORD document that is equivalent to the example above.
1 Requirements This is a text anywhere in your documentation. It can be in several documents. 1.1 Some requirements <I1> This is the title of I1 This is the description of I1. #EndText <I2> This is the title of I2 This is the description of I2. #EndText 1.2 Some other requirements <I3> This is the title of I3 This is the description of I3. #EndText <I4> This is the title of I4 This is the description of I4. #EndText 2 Artifacts This is a text anywhere in your documentation. It can be in several documents. 2.1 Artifact O1 This is the description of artifact O1. <<I1>> 2.1 Artifact O2 This is the description of artifact O2. <<I2>> #Partial 2.2 Artifact O3 This is the description of artifact O3. <<I3>> #Partial 2.3 Artifact O4 This is the description of artifact. O4 <<I3>> #Partial 2.4 Artifact O5 This is the description of artifact O5.
The requirements and artifacts can be described in one or several documents of different type: MS WORD, MS POWERPOINT, MS EXCEL, PDF etc.
Each requirement has a version. The author update it at each modification. The version is a number (like 1, or 1.1). If no version is set, the default value is 0.